Board of Directors Member Commitment Policy
Board members will be required to complete the Board Member Commitment form at the beginning of each term.
- Attend 100% of the three board meetings, unless an unforeseen circumstance prevents me from doing so.
- Thoroughly review the agenda and supporting materials prior to all board meetings.
- Serve on a committee or workgroup and take on special assignments as needed.
- Personally contribute to the MassAFP Foundation and PAC that are considered generous and treat them as a priority.
- Remain informed about MassAFP mission, services, and policies.
- Promote MassAFP, as needed and agreed upon by the board.
- Provide support and advice to staff without interfering in management activities.
- Suggest nominees and participate in board recruitment.
- Support the organization by representing the organization in the community and with its funders.
Board member code of conduct:
As a board member, I understand that I have duties of care, loyalty, and obedience to the organization.
- The duty of care is the duty to pay attention to the organization – To monitor its activities, see that its mission is being accomplished, and guard its financial resources.
- The duty of loyalty is the duty to avoid conflicts of interest.
- The duty of obedience is the duty to carry out the purposes of the organization and to comply with the law.
As a board member I agree to:
- Act with honesty and integrity.
- Support all actions taken by the board in a positive manner, even when I am in a minority position on such actions. I recognize that decisions of the board can be made only by a majority vote at a board meeting and respect the majority decisions of the board, while retaining the right to seek changes through ethical and constructive channels.
- Participate in (1) The annual strategic planning, (2) Board self-evaluation programs, and (3) Board development workshops, seminars, and other educational events that enhance my skills as a board member.
- Keep confidential information confidential.
- Exercise my authority as a board member only when in meeting with the full board or when appointed by the board. I understand it is my fiduciary responsibility to act in a representative manner of the board and not use this position to promote self-interest.
- Work with and respect the opinions of my peers who serve this board, and leave my personal prejudices out of all board discussions.
- Always act for the good of the organization and represent the interests of all people served by the organization.
- Represent this organization in a positive and supportive manner at all times.
- Observe the parliamentary procedures, Modern Rules of Order, and display courteous conduct in all board and committee meetings.
- Refrain from intruding on administrative issues that are the responsibility of management, except to monitor the results of the organization.
- Accept my responsibility for providing oversight of the financial condition of the organization.
- Avoid acting in a way that represents a conflict of interest between my position as a board member and my personal or professional life, even if those actions appear to provide a benefit for the organization. This includes using my position for the advantage of my friends and business associates. If such a conflict does arise, I will declare that conflict before the board and refrain from voting on matters in which I have conflict.
- Abide by these board operating procedures.
Date policy approved by: 01/02/2017